Job Number: 499442 | Vacancy LinkLocation: Republic of CameroonWork Type : Fixed Term Staff
If you are a NATIONAL OF CAMEROON, committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world's leading children's rights organization would like to hear from you.
For 60 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children's survival, protection and development. The world's largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
Purpose of the PositionThe Specialist reports to the Chief HIV/AIDS for guidance and general supervision. The Specialist supports the development and preparation of the PMTCT/Pediatric & adolescent HIV Care and treatment programmes/projects and is responsible for managing, implementing, monitoring, evaluating and reporting of progress in this area. The Specialist provides technical guidance and management support throughout the programming processes to facilitate the administration and achievement of concrete and sustainable results according to plans, allocation, results based-management approaches and methodology (RBM) and UNICEF's Strategic Plans, standards of performance and accountability framework
Key Expected Results- Support to programmes/projects development and planning- Programme management, monitoring and delivery of results- Technical and operational support to programme implementation- Networking and partnership building- Innovation, knowledge management and capacity building
Key Accountabilities and Duties & Tasks
Support to programme/project development and planning
- - Contribute to/support the preparation/design and conduct/update of situation analysis and assessments on PMTCT/Pediatric & adolescent HIV Care and treatment related issues to ensure that comprehensive, relevant and evidence-based data are collected to guide country office HIV programming, monitoring and delivery of programme/project services.- - Participate in strategic programme discussion to provide input and operational support to the development of an integrated HIV programmes/projects (within the country and/or UNDAF programmes). Formulate, design and prepare PMTCT/Pediatric & adolescent HIV Care and treatment programmes/projects proposal, ensuring alignment with the overall UNICEF's Strategic Plans and Country Programme and coherence/integration with UN Development Assistance Framework (UNDAF), regional strategies and national priorities, plans and competencies.- - Establish specific goals, objectives and strategies and implementation plans using results-based planning terminology and methodology (RBM).- - Prepare PMTCT/Pediatric & adolescent HIV Care and treatment programme documentation for Country Office Programme recommendation ensuring alignment with the overall UNICEF's Strategic Plans, regional strategies and national priorities, plans and competencies.- - Work closely and collaboratively with internal and external colleagues and partners to provide technical and operational support to programme planning, management and implementation and to ensure synergy, integration, coherence and harmonization of PMTCT/Pediatric & adolescent HIV Care and treatment programmes/projects within the country programme, donors' development strategies/policies, country level national priorities/competencies and UN system development interventions/initiatives.
- - Programme management, monitoring and delivery of results- Plan and/or collaborate with internal and external partners to establish monitoring benchmarks, performance indicators and other UNICEF/UN system indicators and measurement to assess/strengthen performance accountability, coherence and delivery of concrete and sustainable results for the assigned sector/s in PMTCT/Pediatric & adolescent HIV Care and treatment programmes.- Participate in monitoring and evaluation exercises, programme reviews and annual reviews with government and other counterparts to assess progress and to determine required action/interventions to achieve results.- Prepare/assess monitoring and evaluation reports to identify gaps, strengths/weaknesses in programme and management, identify lessons learned and use knowledge gained for development planning and timely intervention to achieve goals.- Actively monitor programmes/projects through field visits, surveys and/or exchange of information with partners/stakeholders to assess progress, identify bottlenecks and potential problems and take timely decisions to resolve issues and/or refer to relevant officials for timely resolution.- Monitor and verify the optimum/appropriate use of sector/s programme resources (financial, administrative and other assets) confirming compliance with organizational rules, regulations/procedures and donor commitments, standards of accountability and integrity and ensuring timely reporting and liquidation of resources.
- Prepare regular/mandated programme/project reports for management, donors and partners to keep them informed of programme progress
Technical and operational support to programme implementation
- Provide technical guidance and operational support to government counterparts, NGO partners, UN system partners and other country office partners/donors on UNICEF policies, strategies, processes and best practices and approaches on PMTCT/Pediatric & adolescent HIV Care and treatment related issues to support programme development planning, management, implementation and delivery of results.- Participate in programme strategic discussions/planning to contribute to policy discussions and agenda setting to promote PMTCT/Pediatric & adolescent HIV Care and treatment interventions especially in the areas of gender inequality, social inclusion, human rights and humanitarian situations to ensure that at risks and vulnerable population are fully covered in times of greatest needs.- Draft policy papers, briefs and other strategic programme materials for management use, information and/or consideration.
Networking and partnership building- Build and sustain effective close working partnerships with relevant sector government counterparts, national stakeholders and global partners/allies/donors/academia through active networking and advocacy to exchange knowledge/expertise, leverage resources/action, build alliances and engage participation of communities in programme design, delivery and demand creation.- Prepare communication and information materials for CO programme advocacy to promote awareness, establish partnership/alliances and enhance resource mobilization for UNICEF PMTCT/Pediatric & adolescent HIV Care and treatment programmes/projects.- Participate and/or represent UNICEF in appropriate inter-agency (UNCT) discussions and planning on HIV and related issues to collaborate with inter-agency partners/colleagues on UNDAF planning and preparation of HIV programmes/projects ensuring organizational position, interests and priorities are fully considered and integrated in the UNDAF process in development planning and agenda setting
Innovation, knowledge management and capacity building- Keep abreast, research, benchmark and implement best and cutting edge practices in HIV management and information systems. Institutionalize and share best practices and knowledge learned.- Organize and implement capacity building initiatives to enhance the competencies of clients/stakeholders to promote sustainable results in HIV related programmes/projects.- Apply/introduce innovative approaches and good practice to build the capacity of partners and stakeholders and to support the implementation and delivery of concrete and sustainable programme results.
Qualifications of Successful Candidate- An Advanced University Degree in public health, pediatric health, family health, health research, global/international health, health policy and/or management, environmental health sciences, biostatistics, socio-medical, health education, epidemiology or other health related sciences is required.
- A minimum of 5 years of professional experience in public HIV/AIDS planning and management and/or in relevant areas of health care, health emergency/humanitarian preparedness is required.- Relevant experience in HIV/AIDS programme/project especially PMTCT/Pediatric & adolescent HIV Care and treatment development and management in any UN system agency or organization is an asset.- Oral and written proficiency in French and knowledge of English is requiredCompetencies of Successful Candidate
Core Values- Commitment- Diversity and Inclusion- Integrity
Core competencies- Communication- Working with people- Drive for results
Functional Competencies- Leading and supervising- Formulating strategies and concepts- Analyzing- Relating and networking- Deciding and initiating action- Applying technical expertise
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organisation.
Closing Date 18 Oct 2016 W. Central Africa Standard Time