The Nkafu Policy Institute, a Cameroonian Think Tank at the Denis & Lenora Foretia Foundation, provides independent, in-depth and insightful policy recommendations that advance the Cameroonian economy and the economies of other sub-Saharan African countries. Its reputation is founded on its independence, high quality research and innovative policy prescriptions. Its mission is to advance public policies that help all Africans prosper in strong, fair, and sustainable economies.
OVERVIEW – Economic Policy Analyst Job
The Economic Policy Analyst will produce timely, accessible, and reliable analysis on a range of policy issues affecting Cameroonians in particular and Africans in general. This includes, but not limited to, government revenue generation and expenditure; developing a tax system that targets relief where it is needed most; promoting access to education, health care, and jobs that foster long-term economic security; and advancing solutions that balance economic, social, and environmental concerns. The Economic Policy Analyst will also play an important role working with Nkafu’s partners and helping the institute reach more people. The Economic Policy Analyst position is full-time and reports directly to the Director. The position is based in Yaounde.
The Economic Policy Analyst’s core responsibilities include:
– Analyze fiscal, economic, and demographic data to support the formulation and evaluation of public policies and the understanding of key trends, issues, and opportunities;
– Stay abreast of regional and national policy proposals relevant to the Foundation’s mission and keep current on relevant regional and national research;
– Produce a range of written materials including blog posts, op-eds, fact sheets, short reports, and longer research pieces based on credible research and analysis of priority issues;
– Work with other staff to help refine analysis, improve the accessibility and impact of Nkafu’s products, and edit and fact check materials to ensure delivery of high quality, credible analysis;
– Contribute to the development of policy and communications priorities and identification of opportunities as a member of the foundation’s team;
– Work with partners to support their analytic needs, identify and advance collaboration, and explore opportunities to achieve greater impact;
– Support efforts to respond to requests for information and technical assistance from policymakers and the media;
– Engage in outreach and advocacy as appropriate;
– Represent the Foundation in various coalitions, the media and committees as appropriate; and
– Other duties as assigned.
The ideal candidate for the Economic Policy Analyst position possesses:
– A commitment to economic and social justice;
– A desire to explore ideas, test assumptions, and advance solutions collaboratively based on sound information and analysis;
– Strong quantitative and analytical skills, including a working knowledge of PC-based word processing, spreadsheet, and statistical software;
– Excellent communication skills, including the ability to convey technical information clearly to a range of audiences, both in writing and through public speaking;
– An advanced degree. Advanced degree in public policy, economics, finance, statistics, or a related field preferred (individuals who graduated in May or June of 2015 are eligible to apply);
– Prior experience in policy analysis and research, including familiarity with regional, and national data sources and legislative processes, is preferred;
– The ability to work both independently and as part of a team, to prioritize and manage multiple tasks and pivot as needed, and to complete assigned projects under time constraints;
– A commitment to continuous professional and organizational improvement including the ability to give and receive constructive feedback particularly on written products;
– The capacity to develop and maintain collaborative relationships with an array of individuals and organizations interested in advancing shared prosperity in Cameroon and sub-Saharan Africa, including elected officials, legislators and executive branch staff, journalists, the leadership and membership of other policy organizations, and the general public, and;
– An understanding of how to use social media to advance the foundation’s mission.
The Foundation offers a competitive compensation package, including salary commensurate with experience, and paid vacation.
APPLICATION – All applications must be submitted using our online application tools. Click here to access application
Position open until filled. Candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. Applications will be reviewed on an on-going basis until position is filled. It is in your best interest to apply early.
REQUIRED WRITING EXERCISE – To be considered, applicants must submit a sample writing sample (no more than 3000 words) on any topic dealing with the Cameroonian economy. See Online Application.